Growing concern for British citizen’s rights in EU

Growing concern for British citizen’s rights in EU

BRITONS living in Europe have expressed disgust after UK government releases detailed plans for EU citizens in Britain post-Brexit.

The government paper released last week includes vast amounts of information on how EU citizens living in the UK will be allowed to stay, what rights they will have and how to achieve the settled status.

It comes a fortnight after the EU submitted a four-page proposal that the rights of all EU citizens who stand to be affected by Brexit be guaranteed for life.

Instead, the UK plans to allow citizens who have had five years residency to be granted the settled status immediately following the exit from the EU whilst those who arrived before the triggering of Article 50 but do not have 5 years residency will be given the chance to build up to this status.

The UK government has in this paper however, not provided details on how it expects UK citizens in Europe to be treated by simply repeating that it expects the EU to reciprocate the same rights. Sue Wilson of Bremain in Spain, a group representing about 30,000 people, told the Guardian that expats are “simply asking to maintain the status quo, with no degradation of our rights” and that to do this requires the UK government to reciprocate the previous EU document which provides lifetime security of their rights to healthcare, job security, residency and access to a full pension.

The government negotiating strategy seems to be to offer less than is already available which could leave UK citizens in Europe with less than they could have had.

Britons are the largest national expat group at risk of feeling the effects of Brexit yet seem to have the least focus in a government strategy which is making them feel most vulnerable.

Some of the most damaging proposals are plans to end the right for citizens to bring elderly parents, sick relatives or EU partners into the UK. This is a plan which, if reciprocated as the UK Government expects, would mean UK settlers in the EU would have to move back home to care for loved ones. It would also mean Britons living in Europe and married to EU citizens and would not have the automatic right to return home with their spouse.

See original article

Government must do much more to protect UK Citizens in Europe

Government must do much more to protect UK Citizens in Europe

PRESS RELEASE  – June 27, 2017

British in Europe, the largest coalition of UK citizens groups in Europe, warns that the government needs to do more to protect the futures of 1.2 million UK citizens in the EU with its offer on citizens rights published on Monday.  

British in Europe Chair Jane Golding said:

“Apart from the fact that paper makes very few detailed mentions of UK citizens in Europe – even though we represent by far the largest national group of people who will be impacted by the citizens rights deal – the government strategy is clearly putting our future rights at risk. It insists on both reciprocity and on restricting some of the current rights of EU citizens living in the UK. That means that the EU may well respond with measures to restrict some of our current rights too. That would be the exact opposite to Theresa May’s stated intention to use reciprocity in order to protect those rights.

“Our meetings with DExEU officials and ministers on Monday were constructive – but we believe the UK government must do a lot more to show that it takes seriously its duty of care and protection to 1.2m UK citizens in Europe. Otherwise we run the risk of being the sacrificial lambs of Brexit, while the government focuses instead on immigration arrangements for EU citizens already in the UK.”

“The UK government’s offer lacks clarity in comparison to the detailed EU offer published end May. There is very little here about what Theresa May actually wants to achieve for us and how our rights should be protected, despite the UK Government emphasising all along that they wanted to protect the rights of British citizens living in the EU.  Since we are the biggest national group, more than 1.2 million, affected by Brexit, the Government needs to think carefully about how its offer to EU citizens in the UK may impact the offer that UK citizens already have on the table from the EU.”

“In our view, to suggest that any offer made by either side would be generous is simply wrong – all we want and EU citizens in the UK want is to keep the status quo and get on with our lives.  It is a matter of justice – people made lives, careers and founded families in other countries in good faith and with the legitimate expectation that the rules would remain the same for the rest of their lives.  People have had their lives on hold now for a year.  Until there is final deal, and that deal is ring fenced from the other issues so that whatever happens in the negotiations, it will stand, we won’t be able to sleep at night and will still be bargaining chips.”  

“British in Europe has been working hard behind the scenes to ensure that UK citizens in the EU – those who will be at the forefront of our future relationship with Europe – are treated fairly. While the government was passing Article 50 and holding elections, we were consulting with the EU over their negotiating stance, which was improved to take in several of our suggestions. We have also been keeping DExEU officials and ministers up-to-date about our needs and concerns. We hope to continue that relationship in  order to help the government carry out its stated mission to protect the futures of UK citizens living in the EU.”  

British in Europe Deputy Chair, Fiona Godfrey, who also attended the meeting with ministers on Monday added:

“This may be an opening gambit but at the moment, because this is an issue for the UK visa-vis EU citizens’ rights going forward, we lose family reunification rights – bringing over sick relatives, going back to the UK with non-UK, EU spouses – which we currently have in our countries of residence, just like EU citizens in the UK.  And it looks as if our British kids will be on international fees at Universities after 2019, and also risk not being able to return to EU27 countries after their studies, unless the permanent residence position of students studying in the UK pre- and post-Brexit is clarified.  On healthcare, despite Theresa May’s statement in the House of Commons that the UK would continue to provide healthcare cover in the EU, the language on this is vague, the UK  “will seek to protect the healthcare arrangements”. The language on pensions is also muddling ’

Godfrey continues: “This is the same for the proposal on mutual recognition, where the language is also vague, and as far as we can see, cross border working.  These are important issues, given that around 80% of UK citizens in the EU are working people who want to know that their livelihoods are secured in future.”

BACKGROUND:   There are 1.2 Million UK citizens in the EU. The next largest group to be impacted by the citizens’ rights deal will be the 880,000 Poles in the UK. After that (given that Irish citizens are covered by a separate treaty) come 300,000 Germans (see here).

On Thursday last week, Theresa May outlined her offer to EU citizens in the UK to EU leaders at a dinner in Brussels and yesterday the detailed offer was unveiled in London.  Members of British in Europe, the coalition of 11 UK citizens’ groups in the EU, were at a meeting at the House of Commons with DExEU Minister, Robin Walker, and Immigration Minister, Brandon Mitchell, to discuss the contents of the offer shortly before Theresa May made her statement in the House of Commons on this.

The background is that the EU made its detailed offer public end May, having published a draft on 3 May, on which British in Europe, and the EU citizens’ group, the3million, with which British in Europe work closely, were asked by the European Commission to comment.  The UK is therefore now responding, given that a EU offer was already on the table.

Apart from the area of family reunification, British in Europe sees two other points as likely to raise issues during the negotiations: the jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the European Union going forward, and, critically, the cut-off date.  Until the cut-off date is clear, neither EU citizens in the UK nor UK citizens in the EU will have final certainty about their position.  At the moment, a date somewhere between 29 March 2017, the date on which Article 50 was triggered and the date the UK is due to leave the EU is being discussed. However, EU law applies in full in the UK until Brexit date and thus any date earlier than that would be difficult for the UK government to justify legally.

As far as the issue of the Court of Justice is concerned, that is a matter for the negotiations  and British in Europe notes that the EU has built some flexibility into their proposal.  Ultimately, there will need to be some form of dispute resolution body and a way for individuals to enforce their rights.  Whichever body that might be, and even if it were the Court of Justice, in practice, all this would mean is the UK courts making decisions about EU citizens’ rights and simply referring to that body as they saw fit.

ENDS

NOTES TO EDITORS: British in Europe is a coalition of eleven UK citizens groups across the European Union.
For more on ring fencing, see https://eutopialaw.com/2017/06/16/brexit-a-separate- citizensrights-agreement-under-article-50-teu/

For more on this issue, or to comment on today’s events please contact: Jane Golding, British in Europe (Germany) +491711487159 Fiona Godfrey, BRILL (Luxembourg) + 352 691490948

Theresa May bloqueó hace un año una “oferta” unilateral a los ciudadanos de la UE para quedarse en el Reino Unido

Theresa May bloqueó hace un año una “oferta” unilateral a los ciudadanos de la UE para quedarse en el Reino Unido

Theresa May bloqueó hace un año la “oferta” a los ciudadanos de la UE para que pudieran quedarse en el Reino Unido tras la victoria del Brexit en las urnas, según revela ‘The Evening Standard’. El periódico dirigido por el ex secretario del Tesoro, George Osborne, ha dejado en evidencia a la ‘premier’, recordando cómo David Cameron era partidario de garantizar automáticamente los derechos a los europeos en el momento de presentar su dimisión y cómo May fue la única integrante del gabinete que se opuso a tal medida.

“Todo el gabinete estaba de acuerdo en hacer una oferta unilateral, salvo la entonces secretaria de Interior, Theresa May, que se empeñó en bloquearla”, asegura el rotativo londinense, horas después de que la ‘premier’ presentara su propuesta “generosa y justa” en Bruselas y con un año de retraso.

‘The Evening Standard’ recuerda cómo hasta los rivales de la propia May al liderazgo conservador -los ‘brexiteros’ Michael Gove y Andrea Leadsom- eran partidarios de ofrecer la garantía a los 3,2 inmigrantes de la UE sin esperar a un movimiento de fichas de Bruselas para hacer lo propio con los 1,2 millones de expatriados británicos.

Ver la historia completa aquí

EU expats condemn Theresa May’s ‘pathetic’ offer on Brexit rights

EU expats condemn Theresa May’s ‘pathetic’ offer on Brexit rights

Groups representing EU citizens in UK and Britons abroad unimpressed by prime minister’s Brussels proposal

Representatives of EU citizens in Britain have branded Theresa May’s offer to guarantee their rights to remain in the country after Brexit pathetic and anything but “fair and serious”.

A group representing Britons in Europe as well as EU citizens in the UK will meet officials in the Department for Exiting the European Union on Friday morning to tell them of their anger with the prime minister’s “spin” on the issue when she spoke at a dinner in Brussels.

May made what she described as a “fair and generous” offer after a meal at the European council summit on Thursday.

But it was met with fury by EU citizens who say it increases rather than eases anxiety, particularly because, they claim, it is cast in the “language of immigration law” rather than existing EU law.

Read full story here.

Bremain Celebrates San Juan with New Hope – Gallery

Bremain Celebrates San Juan with New Hope – Gallery

“Many people throughout the UK and Europe will be commemorating June 23 in their own way. For us, it’s an opportunity to demonstrate that we’re not playing golf, bowls or bridge, or whiling away hours in English bars festooned with Union Jacks. Instead, we’ll be celebrating with the Spanish, as we do every year, and enjoying being treated like family by our wonderful neighbours. I only hope that EU citizens in the UK have as much love and support surrounding them.”

 

Below you can view a selection of our members photos of the San Juan fiestas from North to South of Spain. Enlarge a photo and follow the gallery by using the arrows back and forth.

Bremain in Spain San Juan celebrations feature in El Pais

This year San Juan has taken on a new meaning for the British community in Spain. Today is the first anniversary of the Brexit vote, a referendum held in the United Kingdom to decide whether the country should leave the European Union.

Much to the dismay of many of those Britons currently living in Europe, the “yes” vote won, and since then expatriate groups have sprung up across Spain in a bid to campaign against Brexit and to fight for the rights of Britons in their adopted country once the UK leaves the EU ………

You can read the full article HERE